Dean of Chapel, Concordia Seminary
Concordia Seminary is seeking nominations for the position of Dean of Chapel. This is a faculty position responsible for directing the provision of organized corporate worship on the campus to guide the seminary community in a clear understanding of and faithful participation in that worship life and providing spiritual and pastoral service that will enhance and deepen the spiritual life of the entire community. As a member of the faculty, the Dean of Chapel will also teach seminary classes in his area of expertise.
As Dean of Chapel, the candidate appointed to this position will report to the President of the seminary. As a member of the faculty, the Dean of Chapel will report to his Department Chair. Responsibilities encompass all matters relative to the worship life of the seminary, and include:
- Design and direct a program of corporate worship responsive to the spiritual needs of the seminary community.
- Plan, in consultation with the Director of Music Arts and the Faculty, the worship services appointed for each day in the academic year.
- Prepare orders of worship for all special services conducted on behalf of the seminary community currently including, but not limited to: Opening Service, Vicarage Assignment, Call Day, Theological Diploma Service, Symposium Days, anniversaries, dedications, and all special commemorations and events.
- Supervise and oversee the instruction of all students who assist in the conduct of chapel services.
- Provide theological oversight and manage the multi-cultural efforts relative to campus worship.
- Oversee chapel music, musicians, and ensembles
- Assist the President in his responsibility as spiritual head of the seminary community by bringing to the attention of the President all matters of import affecting the spiritual life of the seminary community and by carrying out those assignments as may be requested by the President.
- Teach ten semester credits each academic year in his area of expertise.
Appointment to the faculty of Concordia Seminary is made by the Board of Regents upon the recommendation of the seminary President.
- Ordained pastor of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod or a partner church
- Demonstrated administrative skills
- Terminal degree (Ph.D.) in the theology, history or practice of Christian worship attained or in progress
- Experience is the pastoral oversite of the worship life of a congregation or institution
Interested individuals should be encouraged to go to this online site for further information and for submitting necessary information. Please send any nominations for this position to Dr. Douglas L. Rutt, Provost, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dr. Rutt may also be contacted for any questions.
The position posting will close on June 16, 2021.