Summer Activity Ideas for the Whole Church
Two churches share some top tips for ways they include everyone from the congregation.
Jolene Siebarth, DCE, Immanuel St. Charles
OUTDOOR MOVIE NIGHT
- Pick a Summer night and set up a projector and screen or use the side of a building.
- Youth Ministry can offer or sell concessions; praise band can lead “pre-movie” entertainment.
- Families of all ages can bring lawn chairs and enjoy the movie at the church.
OUTDOOR PARKING LOT CONCERT
- A full praise band parking lot concert. People can sit in their cars or lawn chairs.
- A group can provide food (like the Men’s Club can grill hot dogs and brats. Everyone at Immanuel received a bag with chips, a dog/brat and then water/soda/capri sun.)
- A local food/coffee/smoothie truck can also come to the event.
SUNDAY SCHOOL KICK-OFF TAILGATE EVENT
- Families can set up tailgate style in the parking lot for food and the start to Sunday school.
- Families can spread out and have safe social distance while enjoying food, songs, games and celebrating the beginning of Sunday school.
FAMILY SAFETY FAIR
- Invite the police and fire department to a safety fair to spread the word about safe family fun. Bike helmet fittings, car seat checks, fire safety activities, sitting in fire trucks, child safe ID kits, etc are all part of emphasizing safe family fun. Great community activity for families! Can easily be an outdoor event.
Rev. Steven Andrews, St. Matthew, Lee’s Summit
Give your Sunday School staff a break!
GATHER ALL TOGETHER
- Pastor leads a Bible Study for the many households gathered together.
- Read a chapter of Scripture, speak the Ten Commandments, Apostles’ Creed, and Lord’s Prayer, and then sing a hymn. (Groups can even model taking turns reading the Bible.)
THEN GO TO GROUPS
- To conclude, Pastor Andrews quickly leads the family leaders through 7 chapters of the Bible (great preparation for each of the family’s weekly readings.)
- During this time the kids go off and work on a craft project led by a volunteer.